While writing the last entry I noticed that the header seemed to flicker when switching between an entry and a top-level page. Barely noticable, but at least a pixel or so! On closer inspection, there's even a 1.6 pixel difference. We can't have that! 😉

1.6 pixel difference!

I was relieved to see that the difference was measurable. 😇 Turns out my CSS spidey senses aren't that sharp, so I didn't immediately look at the right place to find the source for the difference. Digging deeper and inspecting the nested div I still didn't see a difference in the layout that would explain the difference in the computed height:

Looks the same to me...

So rather than inspecting the generated output, I tried to look at the templates that are generating these pages. I fiddled with the sections a bit, removing some to see if that has an effect but to no avail. Finally, goold old ediff-regions-wordwise to the rescue!

Header Diff

Turns out the entry template is the only one missing a link element to download the Roboto font. Looking back, I could have noticed the difference when inspecting the div elements, as one is listing the rendered font as a "Local file" and the other is a "Network resource". Or even earlier, an experienced CSS master might have heard "flicker" and immediately thought of FOUT/FOIT and would have started by checking the used fonts right away? 🤷 Well, here's to learning! Maybe writing this up will sharpen my spidey senses.

To fix the issue, I ended up dropping the link elements rather than adding another one. I still specify Roboto as the preferred font, as that's what I use and check when writing entries, but keep the generic sans-serif and monospace as fallbacks. Looking at the content on my blog, I think it's simple enough that it should render fine with most sans-serif fonts. This way you get to see your favorite fonts rather than mine (if you don't have Roboto installed 😜) and we save a trip across the tubes to download it.


PS. The title is meant to be a spin on the word "nitpicker" which shows up as a translation for a German favorite of mine: "Korinthenkacker" 😉